PHOTOSYNTHESIS-THE FOUNDATION OF LIFE
Science Plus:Technology and Society Chapter 1 (pp2-25)
Arizona State University: The Photosynthesis Center
The Alien Explorers Whole Earth Page
Western Michigan’s Photosynthesis Pages
University of California @ Sand Diego
Newton’s Apple Web Site: How Do Plants Make Food (#907)
Maricopa Community College (maybe the BEST site)
POSTER CREATION- (Individual) Each student must make a small poster that includes the following:
- The balanced chemical equation of photosynthesis.
- The same equation written in word form.
- Artwork, drawings, or pictures that depict what is happening in photosynthesis.
- A graphical representation of the light reaction, showing what goes in and what comes out.
- 2. A graphical representation of the dark reaction, showing what goes in and what comes out.
DEFINITIONS-(Individual)The following words need to be defined (as they relate to photosynthesis) and placed in your journal
Chloroplast starch carbon dioxide
Water sugar stoma
Light energy light reaction dark reaction
Palisade cells upper epidermis lower epidermis
Spongy cells guard cells pigments
Leaves carbon cycle ATP
LABORATORY EXPERIMENTS-(You and your Lab Partner)- You must complete experiment number one from the text book, plus you may choose any two of the labs listed below from your textbook.
Exploration #1 pp 6-7 The Search for Starch
Exploration #2 pg 9 Is Light Necessary for Photosynthesis
Exploration #3 pg 13 Do Green Plants Use Carbon Dioxide to Make Food?
Exploration #4 pg 14 Guess Which Gas?
Exploration #5 pp 16-17 A Good Look at Leaves (parts 1 & 2)
ESSAY READING- (Individual)- You must read essay #1 and one other essay about photosynthesis, and make a mind map that summarizes each article . The following titles are:
- Why study Photosynthesis?
- Why Do Leaves turn color in the fall? How Do plants prepare for the winter?
- Soaking Up The Rays
- Biosphere #2 Research
- Corn and Photosynthesis- from the Ontario Corn Growers Association
Photosynthesis Presentation- Students are required to make a presentation about photosynthesis. This presentation must include all of the key concepts that were listed in section number two of this project. Possibilities include but are not limited to:
- A PowerPoint presentation about photosynthesis
- A web site about photosynthesis with links to outside sources
- A presentation to an elementary school about how plants make food (Conant, Way,etc)
- An oral presentation to class that includes some visuals.
- A video in vhs format, perhaps like a segment of 60 minutes or 20/20 in which photosynthesis is explained.
PHOTOSYNTHESIS PROJECT- (PAIRED OR GROUPS OF THREE)-Students will take part in a research project that involves using the scientific method, and communicate their results either in written, oral, or presentation format.
These are some possibilities but you can make up your own to be approved by the teacher:
- Build a greenhouse and grow plants in the house (I have plans available for you)
- Create a controlled experiment looking at one aspect of photosynthesis
- comparison of growth in different types of soil
- comparison of growth in different types of light
- comparison of growth with fertilizer or plant food
- comparison of growth at different temperatures